Why Aren’t They Listening
Since week 2 of our management course, you have been asked to read chapters in Northouse. This assignment helps you examine your understanding of a very popular and easy to apply leadership model: The Situational Approach (chapter 5, Northouse text).
The case centers on Jim’s management of a training program, and his ability to influence people who are not directly reporting to him—a very common management challenge. After reading the case carefully (pp. 113-114) review the situational model described in Chapter 5. Then use the questions in a list below to write Paper 2.
Your final version of this paper should not only provide answers to the questions so that you analyze the case well, but your paper should be formatted following APA Guides. Said differently, this assignment should NOT be organized into a set of short-answer essays. Instead, it should be a cohesive paper, with an introduction, several main sections, and a conclusion. In the main sections, you should include in-text cites of resources that help you explain your analysis.
Paper length: Four (4) or more pages.
Date Due: October 13
1. Based on the situational model of leadership, what style is Jim using?
2. From your interpretation of the case, what style or level appears to be most common among the mid-level managers Jim is seeking to train?
3. What problems do you see, based on Jim’s style and the managers’ level of operating?
4. From a leadership perspective, what is Jim doing wrong?
5. What specific changes can Jim make to improve the quality of the training programs? Name and describe at least three (3).
6. Place yourself in Jim’s role, what would you do next, now that you have information from 3 training sessions and are getting ready to start the 4th session?
7. How would you communicate with the managers about the weaknesses in the training program, so that you continue to be professionally accountable, with more options for the success of all?
Evaluation Factors for Scoring Paper #2: Using Situational Approach
1) Paper has a cover page with your name, date submitted, title of the paper and Turnitin Score. Yes/No
2) Paper has an Introduction section which includes a purpose statement for the assignment written in your words. Yes/No
3) Main sections of paper answer seven (7) questions asked (see list above). Yes/No
4) Each main section has a heading. Yes/No
5) There is also a main section describing expected outcomes: what behaviors would you expect to see among the mid-level managers (Jim’s primary clients or customers for this program)?