In preparation for this discussion, please complete the MasteringBio Background Assignment and read the textbook essay, â€œFinding the Icemanâ€™s Age in an Isotopeâ€ (pp. 26-27). Using the information that you have learned in the video, the NYT article, and the textbook essay, â€œ address the following in your main post:
- What does the symbol â€œcarbon-12â€ mean? (~50 words)
- What does the symbol â€œcarbon-14â€ mean? (~50 words)
- What are the differences between â€œcarbon-12â€ and â€œcarbon-14â€? List at least three. (~50 words)
- What is the main change that has to happen to â€œcarbon-14â€ so it can turn into nitrogen? (~50 words)
- Using your knowledge of atomic structure and isotopes, textbook essay information, and any scientifically reliable online or printed resources, create a ~200-word explanation of how carbon dating is used to determine the age of biological remains. Make sure to use your own words and cite outside sources that you have used.
- Find a biology- or medicine-related example of radioisotope use (besides â€œcarbon datingâ€) and describe it in a ~100-word statement (reference your sources).
I will send students when they post
- Respond to two of your fellow classmates and post your comments and reactions as appropriate 5-7 sentence. You should also reply to those who ask you questions.