You are going to write about the following photographs, which can be found in the “Self, Model, and Self as Other” exhibition in the Museum of Fine Arts Beck Building on the first floor. (Ask a museum attendant to direct you to the gallery in which this exhibit is on display.)
1. “Nicola at Work” by Nicola Constantinos
2. “Self Portrait with Transvestite” from the series Café Culture, by Ryan Weideman
3. “Self Portrait, Kilberg , Vardo/Norway” Arno Rafael Minkkinen
• Part ONE
• Carefully describe each photograph.
• When describing the photograph in detail (as you did in the first paper), include within the description ways in which the photograph relates to line, space, texture, pattern and movement. Be specific. Don’t use emotions or assumptions in the first part of the paper.
• On the backside of this paper is a list of words that relate to these basic elements of art. Refer to all of these when discussing your piece, If you don’t know what they refer to go back and look at their definitions on blackboard learn
• Don’t just say the photograph uses one point perspective or implied line, etc. but carefully describe within the photograph evidence to support your argument.
For example “The man on the left side of the photograph gestures to the right, making my eye follow the implied line toward the child who is situated in the left side of the image. “ The texture I see on the boat is an example of visual texture, it looks very rough and worn, but if I were to touch it, it would be smooth as the paper it is printed on.”
Following each description, make up a story about what you think is going on in the photograph.