This weekâ€™s materials focus on Strategic Thinking. This type of thinking employs the principles of Vision, Values and Mission.
Your assignment is to develop a paper that details each of these principles and notes how each impacts a personâ€™s leadership style.
Use the following guidelines:
- Review and follow the grading rubric
- Develop a clear introduction, body and conclusion. Use paragraph format and transitions. Focus on quality of writing and content. A strong paper will be a minimum of 2 pages (not counting title or reference pages).
- Use APA format with a title page, in-text citations and references. No abstract required.
- Research and cite at least 2 credible sources in APA format.
- Upload your assignment to the SafeAssign link by Sunday at 11:59 pm (EST)
This unit provides a comprehensive introduction to strategic thinking concepts and theories, emphasizing the idea of Visionary Leadership, one of the Baldrige Core Values. We will examine concepts such as Vision, Values and Mission and the role they play in the development of business strategies and policies. In addition, as this course serves as the â€œcapstoneâ€ to your business degree program, our Capstone Review Emphasis will be on various leadership behaviors necessary to develop and implement effective strategy and policy.
- Define the components of Strategy.
- Explain the construction of underlying strategic principles (Vision, Values, Mission).
- Analyze models of Strategic Thinking.
- Review the Course Information page, including the syllabus and rubrics.
- Download/save the course syllabus.
- Introduce yourself in the Introduction discussion forum.
- Read, view, and engage with Readings and Resources.
- Actively participate in Unit Discussion(s).
- Complete Unit 1 Assignment.
Readings and Resources
Unit 1 Presentations:
The importance of this graphic shows the relationship between classic organizational hierarchy and strategic thinking functions as well as the overall strategic process.
- Competencies-Vision Funnel (right click to download PDF)
This document shows how the main employee groups in a typical organization are distributed. Different groups have different responsibilities in the strategic process and different contributions as well. This graphic explains those responsibilities and contributions.
- Core Competency Definition & Example (right click to download PDF)
This lecture is a reflection on the high-level concepts introduced in Chapter 1. It is a summary of practical experience in the use of these concepts and how they can aid in actual strategic planning.
- The Relative Position of Vision, Values, and Mission (right click to download PDF)
Human behavior in organizations is what allows the preceding principles to be applied successfully. This PowerPoint shows some of the basic leadership behaviors necessary to succeed in that process.
- Leadership Basics (right click to download PDF)
Textbook:Hill, C., Jones, G., & Schilling, M. (2020). Strategic Management Theory: An Integrated Approach. 13th Ed. Cengage Learning.
This chapter will introduce the main concepts of strategic planning. In it you will be exposed to the ideas that will be used throughout the course and how those base concepts will be applied.
- Chapter 1: Strategic Leadership: Managing the Strategy-Making Process for Competitive Analysis.
Articles, Websites, and Videos:
| Watch Video What is Strategic Thinking? The Deep Dive Strategic Thinking Framework
User: n/a – Added: 6/5/17 YouTube URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2NYJJ7XTrc
|In this video, Rich Horwath provides an interesting analogy related to types of strategic thinkers based on diving and reveals a useful framework that you can apply in your organizations.|