To prepare: Review the Learning Resources on trauma treatment for veterans, and conduct research in the Walden Library for additional resources on the topic. Then read case provided by your instructor for this weekâ€™s Discussion.
Post a response in which you address the following:
- Provide the full DSM-5 diagnosis for the client. Remember, a full diagnosis should include the name of the disorder, ICD-10-CM code, specifiers, severity, and the Z codes (other conditions that may be a focus of clinical attention). Keep in mind a diagnosis covers the most recent 12 months.
- Explain the diagnosis by matching the symptoms identified in the case to the specific criteria for the diagnosis.
- Identify the first area of focus you would address as clientâ€™s social worker, and explain your specific treatment recommendations. Support your recommendations with research.
- Explain how you would manage clientâ€™s diverse needs, including his co-occurring disorders.
- Describe a treatment plan for client, including how you would evaluation his treatment.
Support your post with specific references to the resources. Be sure to provide full APA citations for your references.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. (2017). PEâ€”Prolonged exposure: A safe place. Retrieved from https://www.ptsd.va.gov/apps/AboutFace/therapies/pe.html Note: On this page, watch the following videos about veteran Frederick M. Ganttâ€™s experience with prolonged exposure therapy for PTSD. “I had to make a decision” “What am I running from?” “I could see it in color” “The Middle Eastern restaurant” “Iâ€™m in a safe place”
Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM-5 5TH 13
Goral, A., Lahad, M., & Aharonson-Daniel, L. (2017). Differences in posttraumatic stress characteristics by duration of exposure to trauma. Psychiatry Research, 258, 101â€“107. doi:10.1016/j.psychres.2017.09.079