Student required to research and submit essay on a chosen group that experiences social disadvantage or inequality in Australia. The essay needs to meet the following criteria:
1. Discuss and provide concrete evidence (e.g. research, statistics) that your chosen group experiences inequality/unequal access to society’s resources. This may include their access to social, economic and political resources such as education, health, income, employment, decision making and the law.
2. Use available information to analyse the social and cultural dimensions and factors of the inequality and how they impact on your group
3. Explain and analyse WHY the inequality is experienced in relation to other groups through the use of two contrasting sociological theories (eg Functionalism, Marxism, Feminism).
This section must comprise around 30% of your essay
4. Outline a social policy in relation to the inequality experienced by your chosen group and discuss the contemporary frameworks and influences underpinning the policy (eg. Analyse what theoretical perspective; you don’t need to agree with the policy)
5. The essay needs to meet academic essay structure. Research information used for the essay needs to be appropriately acknowledged within the body of the essay and in a reference list (Harvard style)
SELF ASSESSMENT CRITERIA BELOW:
Inequality experienced by chosen target group is adequately described and examined and relevant evidence outlining the consequences provided.
Social and cultural dimensions and factors of the inequality and how they impact on the target group competently analysed based on data collected
Inequality experienced by target group is articulated through the use of two contrasting sociological theories. The section comprises around 30% of your essay
A relevant social policy in relation to the inequality experienced is identified and the relevant sociological frameworks and influences underpinning the policy analysed
Academic essay structure is evident and the recommended world limit
All research information is acknowledge and the use of the Harvard style reference system is applied within the essay and the reference list
The essay is submitted via VU Collaborate and TurnItIn within the given timeframe