Prescribed text: Rassool, G. H. (2009). Alcohol and drug misuse: A handbook for students and health
Discuss AOD use in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations with a focus on:
• Role of colonisation and discrimination on AOD use;
• Comorbidity of AOD and mental health issues;
• Social effects of AOD use.
This task is designed to help you:
• critically assess the factors that contribute to the development of addiction in ATSI populations;
• demonstrate an understanding of dual diagnosis and related issues;
• display critical and reflective judgement;
• demonstrate research skills;
• show evidence of independent learning.
This task is designed to assess your progress with the following subject outcomes:
• Be able to outline behavioural and social models of dependence;
• Be able to describe the influence of psychological, social, cultural and political factors on addiction.