Submit your answers in the same Word document with your answers saved. Name the file as follows: â€œSurname_Nameâ€.
You must include references in APA format, three years or less.
Read and answer only the document attached in word
ENG 1102 – Test: Reading comprehension of â€œDistillationâ€.
Name:____Jesus Villafuerte____________________________ Date:_________________
Assignment Instructions for â€œDistillationâ€ (pages 132 to 140).
1) Read the following:
a. â€œBefore You Readâ€ on page 132
b. â€œDistillationâ€ by Hugo Martinez Serros (pages 133 to 140).
2) As you read â€œDistillationâ€ answer the questions listed below.
3) Answer â€œMaking Meaningsâ€ 1 to 8 on page 143.
4) Answer â€œReading Checkâ€ â€œaâ€ to â€œeâ€ on page 143
5) Complete page 145 â€œGrammar Linkâ€
a. Read â€œVerbs make it Vividâ€ (pg. 145)
b. Complete â€œTry It outâ€ (pg. 145)
c. Complete â€œWhich Word?â€ (pg. 145)
Terms to know before you read:
Metaphor: is a comparison of two things essentially different but with some commonalities; does not use â€œlikeâ€ or â€œas,â€ e.g. â€œHer smile was ice.â€
Allusion: a reference to a well-known person, place, event, literary work, or work of art to enrich the reading experience by adding meaning.
Dynamic characters are those who undergo change as a result of the storyâ€™s action.
Static characters do not change they remain the same throughout the story.
1) There is a metaphor on page 134 (hint: near the top of the second column â€œâ€¦crossing that would reachâ€¦all that it enveloped.â€) Write the metaphor below. _____________________________________________________________________________2) Making inferences: Why is there an absence of garbage in the neighborhood on page 135? _____________________________________________________________________________3) Making inferences: Why are the boys still and silent on page 136? _____________________________________________________________________________4) Dynamic Characters – on page 136: How does the word glows suggest that the narrator has grown or changed since the time of these events? â€œYears have changed this are in many ways, but that landscape, like a photo negative glows in memoryâ€™s light.â€ __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________5) Imagery â€“ on page 138: What creature does the father resemble here? â€œWith a powerful jerk he pulled it up his back and over his head, held out his arms like wings, and we instinctively darted under.â€ _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 6) Symbolism â€“ on page 140: The wounds that the father sustains in protecting his children reinforce what type of symbolism? Can you think what allusion this could reference? __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ 7) Dynamic and static characters: Is the character of the narrator dynamic or static? Explain your reasoning. __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________8) Use each â€œWords to Ownâ€ located at the bottom of each page in a sentence. ___________________________________________________________________