The purpose of this assignment is to evaluate how continuous quality improvement (CQI) is used within the health care environment.
While health care organizations strive for the best possible delivery of quality care to patients and customers, the process of assessing, managing, and improving quality is constantly evolving and requires vigilant attention to ensure that systems are effective and that the organization is achieving its desired outcomes. Discuss this evolution of quality within the health care industry and illustrate the role that continuous quality improvement plays in health care today.
In a paper of 750-1,000 words, address the following:
- What is continuous quality improvement and how is it implemented in health care? Why is CQI necessary within a health care environment?
- How have continuous quality improvement efforts improved within the last 50 years? How have they improved in the last 10 years?
- What are the distinguishing characteristics of continuous quality improvement and how is it distinct from quality assurance?
- Why is cross-disciplinary thinking essential to continuous quality improvement efforts? How has this type of collaboration evolved within a health care context?
- Explain the scientific method of continuous quality improvement and provide a hypothetical scenario when application of this method would be advantageous.
- What do you envision for the future of continuous quality improvement in the health care industry? How do you predict it will evolve within the next 10-20 years?
Cite at least three references, including the textbook.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.