PRINCIPLES OF ACADEMIC WRITING
This second assignment requires the production of a formal, objective report on a current political issue. Reports are common not only in academic circles but also in the business world and, indeed, most professions. In the first section of the report, each side of the issue needs to be clearly specified. The middle section of the report responds to a survey you have conducted of RAIUL students. The middle section will make recommendations. These need to be both logical and feasible. They also have to be fully justified. Additionally, the recommendations should contain a strong element of persuasive force if they are to be heeded by the target audience of the report.
Compile a written report and deliver a 10 minute presentation on immigration in Britain. Your report should detail:
I. The Context of the Problem (The issue you chose to investigate, why it is a problem, and what exactly you wish to discover from the survey). Research the subject and source your information
II. Methodology (Exactly how you set up the survey, including flaws)
III. Results (Comment on the results, analyse them, including any flaws, and discuss what they appear to imply)
IV. Recommendations based on your research and findings (Numbered recommendations, based on your analysis of results) concerning: dissemination of information, law enforcement, new legislation etc.
Appendix 1: blank survey
Appendix 2: self-explanatory, raw data of results (readable in black and white)
The report should be 1,250 words max. and formatted in Chicago style, as outlined in the Chicago Model (see separate handout). Deadlines are in your course schedule. Submission will include 20 completed survey instruments, drafts and final report. The report counts for 35% of your overall grade.
Your presentation should be about 10 minutes long and should demonstrate and analyse the results of your survey, and make recommendations. It must include visuals. The presentation counts for 15% of your overall grade.
The following steps will enable you to compile it.
1. Identify current issues related to immigration in Britain
2. Identify key points of government policy, UK law and international opinion on the issue.
3. Identify questions that are being raised by the public through the media.
4. Compile a survey to collect public opinion on the issue.
5. Survey on the issue by:
a. briefing them on the theme
b. presenting them with the questions you have identified.
c. Establishing how they would respond to the questions that are being raised.
6. Write up your research following the guidelines your are given. NB. The report format differs from that required for the first paper in that numbered headings and sub-headings should be used throughout, and the survey questionnaire instrument and raw data results have to be presented in Appendix 1 and 2 respectively.