Discussion: Providing Genetic Nursing Care to Patients With Chronic Illnesses
There are several chronic health problems with genetic/genomic components that plague the population. These health problems are very difficult and challenging diseases to manage. Evidenced-based nursing practice must include genetic and genomic information when planning patient care. Nurses, through their knowledge and support, play an important role in positive patient outcomes when managing the challenges of these genetically linked diseases.
For this Discussion, you will consider applications of various topics to genetics and genomics. Review the Resources focusing on the application of genetics and genomics to nursing
Choose one of the following subtopics:
- Pharmacogenomics and chronic illnesses
- Genomics in patient assessment
- Genetically competent care for those with chronic illnesses
Note: A different subtopic relating to genetics and genomics may be chosen with Instructor approval.
Locate at least one scholarly journal article that discusses your subtopic.
By Day 3
Respond to the following:
- Identify your subtopic and provide a brief summary of your journal article on how this topic relates to nursing practice.
- What is the nurseâ€™s role in providing care in relation to your subtopic and the overarching theme of advocacy?
- What ethical implications should be considered with regard to genetics and genomics for nursing practice? Why?
Support your response with references from the professional nursing literature.
Note Initial Post: A 3-paragraph (at least 350 words) response. Be sure to use evidence from the readings and include in-text citations. Utilize essay-level writing practice and skills, including the use of transitional material and organizational frames. Avoid quotes; paraphrase to incorporate evidence into your own writing. A reference list is required. Use the most current evidence (usually â‰¤ 5 years old).
By Day 7
Read two or more of your colleaguesâ€™ postings from the Discussion question (support with evidence if indicated).
Respond with a comment that asks for clarification, provides support for, or contributes additional information to two or more of your colleaguesâ€™ postings.
Post a Discussion entry on three different days of the week. Refer to the Discussion Rubric found in the Course Information and Grading Criteria area.