Recent societal movements have focused on issues faced by women and people of color (i.e., Black Lives Matter and the Womenâ€™s March). How do recent movements such as those mentioned impact the learning experiences of women and students of color in the 21st century?
Educators today should have a strong understanding of the impact various cultures can have on instructional delivery and student learning. Evaluate three ways how having an understanding of culture can impact student learning and instructional delivery. Support your conclusions with sound research.
Religion is a contentious subject in the field of education. Many educators do not fully understand laws pertaining to what can and cannot occur in a school setting pertaining to religion. Using the First Amendment Schools site located here, research and discuss how one piece of legislation about religion in school impacts modern school cultures. Be sure to support your information with research.
Single-sex schools are having a resurgence in some communities. Proponents say that students perform better with the removal of the distractions of the opposite sex. Research and discuss three reasons single-sex schools are making a comeback. Be sure to support your reasons with scholarly research.
Gender inequality is another significant topic in modern society and within our schools. Local education agencies are constantly faced with ensuring that schools provide a safe learning environment for all students. Analyze and discuss two research based strategies that educators can use to address gender inequalities in todayâ€™s diverse school and classroom environments.
Assignment 1 is a presentation prepared especially for new teachers about your theories of multicultural education. It is a Powerpoint presentation of about thirty slides. You will find specific guidelines in the Assignment 1 tab in week 3, or in your Student Course Guide. Some important guidelines: (1) Make the slides interesting, and do not make them too busy; (2) Use APA guidelines. See the directions, and don’t use Prezi! Students have overwhelmingly asked not to use Prezi!
Create a Prezi presentation in which you propose a short training demo for new teachers, selecting one (1) philosophical approach to multicultural education as described by the author. Use multicultural resources of your choice to support your examples.
Create a fifteen to thirty (15-30) slide Prezi presentation in which you:
1.Create a section (five to ten [5-10] slides) in which you:
a.Compare and contrast three to five (3-5) diversity approaches, focusing on their application to a classroom environment.
b.Analyze key instances in which you have experienced each diversity approach in action in your own life, focusing on events that took place in a K-12 environment.
c.Provide between three to five (3-5) images that demonstrate diverse classrooms in each instance discussed in the question above.
2.Create a section (five to ten [5-10] slides) for multicultural approaches in which you:
a.Design a unit that relates to your grade level and area of instruction that focuses on the approach to multicultural education you have selected.
b.Choose resources that could be used to deliver this unit. Consider the use of any appropriate adaptive learning technologies as well as incorporating International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) National Educational Technology Standards (NETS).
c.Recommend at least three (3) strategies that teachers can choose from to integrate multicultural techniques into their classrooms.
3.Create a section (five to ten [5-10] slides) for philosophies of multicultural education in which you:
a.Create a diagram that demonstrates your personal philosophy of multicultural education and its major applications to a K-12 curriculum.
b.Determine which evaluation criteria you would use to examine the effectiveness of a multicultural curriculum.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Follow APA for formatting guidelines. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover slide containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover slide and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Directions for submitting your presentation:
- Submit your presentation to the area designated by your professor.
- Review at least two (2) other classmatesâ€™ presentations and post a response indicating what you learned by identifying two (2) specific points that were made in the presentation.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Formulate a personal and professional philosophy with respect to multicultural education.
- Examine and analyze various diversity approaches and apply them to the learning environment.
- Identify instructional strategies that are applicable to the K-12 diverse learning environment.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in diversity in K-12 education.
- Write clearly and concisely about diversity in K-12 education using proper writing mechanics.