Issues Faced by a Network Administrator
Alex is a Network Administrator and keeps receiving a number of queries from his team members especially when they are not able to handle user calls. A few of these are listed below:
- A user calls and says that she is able to work on all applications except Internet explorer web browsing. When she tries to access a website, she receives this error: “Page cannot be displayedâ€”cannot find server or DNS error.”
- What can be the cause of the problem and on which layers can the problem exist? Provide possible solutions to each cause of the problem
- List the various troubleshooting steps that Alex should conduct to resolve the issue, assuming he approaches the most common error first and the least common error last.
- Another user who manages a tremendous amount of data on a daily basis has encountered a network problem. He has an idea that the problem is related to usage of TCP and UDP.
- How is data transmitted through the different layers of the TCP and UDP? Describe the specific layers in which data is transmitted using TCP and UDP.
- Do you agree with this statement that “TCP is always more reliable than UDP?” Why or why not? List and compare the security considerations of both the data transfer techniques.
- Can TCP and UDP be used interchangeably? Which factors will influence their interchangeable use? Describe the difference of TCP and UDP. Also, list and compare the factors of transmission with respect to the data transmission technique used by them.
ISO/OSI Network Reference Model and Data Encapsulation
On the basis of your understanding of the ISO/OSI Network Reference Model of TCP/IP and Data Encapsulation in TCP/IP, create a 2- to 3-page report in a Microsoft Word document that addresses the following:
ISO/OSI Network Reference Model
- Define and explain the model including the seven layers for the ISO/OSI Network Reference Model.
- Describe the protocols and functions of each layer in detail.
Data Encapsulation in TCP/IP
- Describe the need of encapsulation. Elaborately describe the process of encapsulation and creation of packets as a result of encapsulation.
- Analyze and provide all specific details regarding packet information, like headers or trailers.
Support your responses with examples.
Cite any sources in APA format.