Global warming, environmental racism
Read the article ‘Myth: Global warming, environmental racism’ by Harry Alford.
Philadelphia Tribune [Philadelphia, Pa] 23 June 2015: 10A.
Produce a response that explains whether you agree or disagree with the writer’s position.
- You must write this task as an essay, following the structure laid out during Class 5.
- You must take a position either for or against the ideas in the article. Neutrality is not desirable in this task. Your work should be focussed on either supporting the article or criticising the arguments that he has made.
- Your position must be based on a combination of sound reasoning and research
- A Bibliography/Reference List containing a further 2-3 items that you have additionally researched must be included.
- Marks will be awarded or deducted based on the range of vocabulary and technical accuracy (e.g. spelling, grammar) used in the assignment.
‘Myth: Global warming, environmental racism’ by Harry Alford.
The concept of global warming and the environmental justice movement started to grow during the Nixon administration. President Nixon saw it as a diversion from the anti-Vietnam War movement and the pressures of the Civil Rights Movement. He was shrewd in taking a tiny bureau from the Department of Interior and making it a cabinet level agency – the Environmental Protection Agency. Thus, the “Green Movement” began.
By the time the Clinton administration came to Washington, D.C., claims of “environmental racism” were in full swing. When the Obama administration came, people were talking about “environmental justice” on equal footing with the Civil Rights Movement. Currently, the Sierra Club (environmental advocate group) mixes the Civil Rights Movement with the Global Warming Movement as if they are the same thing. It is an outrageous lie.
One of the biggest claims of the environmentalists is that air pollution known as ozone causes asthma. Asthma is a sickness that can lead to death. Let’s look at the definition, prevention and risk factors of this illness known as asthma. According to the prestigious