Choose ONE question. Respond in a well written one-paragraph or more response. After responding to a question (from either reading), you will respond or “respond to” one peers’ responses. Your response should be a well written one-paragraph or more response.
1. How is the â€œmale gazeâ€ represented in this story?
2. What are some examples of when the narrator passes judgment on other characters?
3. Is Sammy a universal character? Can he be relatable no matter the social, historical, cultural, or political context?
“Boys and Girls”
1. How does the narrator learn the difference between being a girl and a boy? What character(s) show her this?
2. How does the narrator’s relationship with her father change as she learns what it means to be a “girl”?
3. What does Flora represent at the end of the story? How is the horse a symbol?
Mays, Kelly J. The Norton Introduction to Literature: Portable 12th Edition. New York: Norton, 2017.