Determine health needs and priorities based on assessment results.
Unit Outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Analyze the relationship between SES indicators and health outcomes.
- Identify health disparities.
- Identify a community health intervention need.
- Develop a statement of need.
- Create a program mission statement.
- Understand the difference between process and outcome objectives.
- Establish program goals and objectives.
Background: In this assignment, you will continue the process of planning a health promotion program by analyzing the relationship between socioeconomic conditions and health outcomes in the community to select a health need priority and a target population. Eliminating and reducing health disparities are important goals of the health promotion profession. Therefore, in order to choose a suitable health focus and a target population, you will need to dig a little deeper into the data you presented in the Unit 2 assignment. The health priority and target population you choose with be the focus of your community-based health promotion program. Based on your analysis of the SES and health data, in addition to any health disparities you identified, you will write a statement of need explaining why the health issue you selected is a problem for the community and should be addressed with an intervention.
You will develop a program mission statement, program goals, and program objectives that reflect the statement of need.
Your Assignment should be approximately 3â€“5 pages in length, written in essay format and include appropriate supporting citations and references in APA format. Address the following topics:
- Health Status Indicators (1 to 2 paragraphs)
- Describe common measures associated with evaluating health in a population, such as morbidity, mortality, incidence and prevalence
- Describe three health issues you think are important in this community and describe the data
- The relationship between health and SES (1 to 3 paragraphs)
- Describe the reciprocal relationship between health and socioeconomic factors in communities
- For each of the three health issues you identified above, discuss possible social, economic, and/or environmental factors within the community that may be influencing those health outcomes
- Identify Health Disparities (2 – 4 paragraphs)
- For each of the three health issues you identified above, examine potential health disparities among subsections of the population. For example, if you identified heart disease as a problem, are rates of mortality from heart disease greater than the average among a subset of the population, such as a certain age and/or racial group? Note any health disparities you find.
- Based upon all the information you reviewed up to this point, decide what health issue you will address and select a subgroup from within the larger community to target through health promotion. Explain why you chose the health issue and the subgroup.
- Create a statement of need (1 to 2 paragraphs)
- Explain why you chose the health issue and the subgroup noted above as the focus of your program. Why is the health issue a problem for the community and the target population?
- Create a program mission statement that includes the following elements: (1 to 2 paragraphs)
- Name of the community
- The health issue
- The target population
- The purpose of the program
- The underlying program philosophy
- How the program will address the needs presented in the statement of need
- Create program goals and objectives (table or list)
- Create at least two program goals that are aligned with the program mission
- Create at least 5 properly formatted program objectives. Each program objective should describe an outcome, include a metric, and include a timeframe. Note the level of change represented in each objective (i.e., awareness, knowledge, skill, etc.)
- Summarizing Conclusion (1 to 2 paragraphs)