Criminal Case Brief
For this assignment, you will research a case and present and present a summary of your findings as a case brief.
Read the following case: State of Minnesota v. Daryl Negel Curtis A17-0390 January 10, 2018. (State v. Curtis, 905 N.W.2d 609 (Minn., 2018) State v. Curtis, 905 N.W.2d 609 (Minn., 2018)
Note: State Supreme Court cases like this can be found in Fastcase by following the below procedure in this video Finding a Fastcase State Supreme Court Case
After reviewing the case, address the following in a case brief:
- What are the basic key facts of the case? Provide a summary of the facts.
- What are the issues being decided on the case? Be sure to address each of the decisions if there are more than one.
- How did the judge come to their decision? What was the rationale in the judges reasoning?
- What impact does this case have on the competency requirement for defendants?
Use the below resources to help you structure your Case Brief.
- Sample Case Brief
- How do I write a case brief of a legal opinion? What are the elements that need to be included?