Criminal Justice Theory in Action
This assignment has been designed to facilitate your understanding of the following course competencies:
- Evaluate criminal justice leadership and organizational policies and practices using theoretical frameworks.
- Integrate current, relevant, peer-reviewed academic research and literature.
- Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with the expectations for members of the criminal justice profession.
This assignment is intended to provide an introduction to criminal justice theory, including:
- The importance of using theory within a criminal justice organization.
- The linkage between theory, policy, and program administration.
- An illustration of how theory facilitates understanding of real-world issues in criminal justice organizations.
View Riverbend City: Criminal Justice Theory in Action, which was assigned in this unit’s study. Then write an academic paper in which you address the following:
- Respond to these questions regarding the Riverbend City scenario:
- How did theory inform policy and policy in turn inform the administration of the Riverbend City police’s efforts on domestic violence?
- What were some of the positive and negative outcomes of the application of theory in the scenario?
- How might the three-year outcome of their efforts in turn affect new research and theory?
- How might unintended consequences cause a fresh round of evaluation of related policies?
- Identify and empirically evaluate one criminal justice theory related to the media scenario or to the issue of domestic violence. Select a theory that has the most empirical support.
- In evaluating your chosen theory, provide a general overview as well as a substantive identification and discussion of the body of empirical research that supports and argues against the theory.
- Discuss how your criminal justice theory might be applied in the story that unfolded in the scenario. How might the administration of police efforts and the outcome have differed? How might it be similar?
- Illustrate how your chosen theory informs research.
Be sure to address the following critical elements, which align with the grading criteria:
- Develop an overview of a criminal justice theory.
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a criminal justice theory through empirical support from the literature.
- Articulate how a criminal justice theory is utilized to inform policy
- Show how a criminal justice theory informs research.
- Length: At least 8 double-spaced pages (excluding the cover page and references list). Include page numbers, headings, and running header.
- References: At least 3 peer-reviewed resources formatted following APA guidelines.
- Formatting: Use correct APA style and formatting, paying particular attention to citations and references.
- Font size and type: Times New Roman, 12 point.