Answer fully and on time:
- Think about the communication phenomena that scholars study. Which aspects of communication intrigued you the most in this weekâ€™s readingsâ€”verbal or nonverbal behaviors? Oral or written messages? Interpersonal, small group, or organizational dynamics? Face-to-face or mediated contexts?
- Then, reflect on the informal and formal communication channels in your workplace. What types of breakdowns have you experienced or observed in the flow of that communication which affected your work?
- Finally, to begin learning about how communication competence can help you or your co-workers to effectively and appropriately handle challenging workplace* communication situations, answer the following:
- Describe your workplace* communication problem with your classmates. What happened? How did it affect you or the workplace?
- What is the communication phenomenon involved in your workplace problem that you would like to investigate?
- What is the communication theory goal that you would like to pursue in investigating this phenomenon? Remember, communication theories seek to describe or understand, explain, predict, or control a communication behavior. A theory goal can be expressed as simply as one of the following:
My theory goal is to [describe/understand, explain, or predict] __________.
My goal is to persuade co-workers to do or think __________ .
My goal is to change peopleâ€™s attitudes toward __________.