Imagine you have just started working for a local Child Protective Services agency, in the foster care unit. You have been assigned a case with a single mother and two young children. The mother has a diagnosis of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder. She needs to be seen by a mental health professional. However, her Medicaid has been stopped because the children have been removed from her home and care. This situation poses a dilemma, because she does not qualify for any assistance. What do you do? By understanding your local, state, and federal policies, you can advocate for change or rally community support for service development.
Upon successful completion of this discussion, you will be able to:
- Assess how social welfare and economic policies impact the delivery of and access to social services. (PO 5)
- Demonstrate character, scholarship, and leadership in becoming a world changer through application to personal life and professional social work practice.
- Demonstrate Christ-like attitudes, values, worldviews, and ethical and professional behavior within advanced clinical practice. (ILO 1)
- Textbook: Social Welfare Policy: Responding to a Changing World
- Media: Case Study: Social Welfare Policy and Practice, Part 2
In this assignment, you will see how practice and policy come together in the second part of the case study involving a social worker employed at a Child Protective Services (CPS) agency. You will explore the many ways policy affects clientsâ€™ well-being and life chances.
You will engage in a realistic, immersive e-learning scenario that reinforces lessons and concepts from the course and emphasizes how policy and social work practice intersect on a daily basis. Engaging in the interactive scenario activities will help you connect what you are learning about theories to real-life social work situations you may encounter in your future career as a social worker.
- Review the rubric to make sure you understand the criteria for earning your grade.
- In your textbook Social Welfare Policy: Responding to a Changing World, read Chapter 10, â€œSocial Services for Children and Family.â€
- Watch the media â€œCase Study: Social Welfare Policy and Practice, Part 2â€ and complete the interactive activities.
- Navigate to the threaded discussion and respond to the following:
- After typing your answers to the questions within the media piece, select the “Generate Summary” button to create a PDF.
- Copy the questions along with your responses from the PDF, and paste them into the Discussion Board.
- Your initial post is due by the end of the fourth day of the workshop.
- Read and respond to at least two of your classmatesâ€™ postings, as well as all instructor follow-up questions directed to you, by the end of the workshop.
- Your postings also should:
- Be well developed by providing clear answers with evidence of critical thinking by providing evidence from workshop resources to support responses (with APA citation).
- Add greater depth to the discussion by introducing new ideas.
- Provide clarification to classmatesâ€™ questions and provide insight into the discussion.
- Be posted on two different days during the workshop.