Choose one of the questions below and write a 5-7 page essay with 12 point, Times or Times New Roman font, and 1-inch margins.
- Select one philosophical idea, such as Fascism or Romanticism or Liberalism, and write an essay concerning how it impacted the West since 1700.Be sure to discuss how it impacted common people, faith, and nations, as well as the West as a whole in your answer.
- Compare and contrast the impact of one or two Western concepts such as Liberalism, Republicanism, or human rights, in two different countries during the eras covered in this class.For example, one could write an essay on the comparing France and the United States in the area of human rights and government power.One could start comparing the Declaration of the Rights of Man & Citizen with the Declaration of Independence and move on from there into the late twentieth century.
- What role did religion play in the areas of science, culture, and politics in Western Society between 1600 and 1914?How and to what extent did Christianity shape the society?
- How did World War I impact the West?Be sure to include in your answer governance, colonialism, religion, and political ideas.You could also discuss economics and military power.
- How has the role of religion changed since 1960 in the West?Be sure to include the Holocaust and Zionism, the spread of Islam, and the relative decline of Christianity in your answer.
- What was the Cold War, why was it important, and why is it still relevant in the 21st Century?
- What was the most important movement or idea/ideology/philosophy of post-World War II Western Society (1945-2010), what made it so and why do you think it was so important?