Assignment: Finance and Operations
This week we look at finance and operations, and apply a bit of quantitative analysis to the effort.
Your assignment is to analyze current financial ratios for a given business.
1. Think of a specific business you find interesting, i.e. Apple, UTC, Southwest Airlines, etc.
2. Search the web for that businessâ€™ â€œFinancial Statement.â€ (You will find many hits for the data.)
3. Select the http://www.morningstar.com/ site offering your companyâ€™s financial statement.
4. You will now see a number of financial ratios for your company. Below is an example for Apple: http://financials.morningstar.com/ratios/r.html?t=AAPL
5. Now, define the following ratios, note the ratio for your business, and explain what the ratio means for the business moving forward:
a) Return on Assets
b) Return on Equity
c) Return on Capital
d) Gross Margin
e) SG&A Margin
f) Current Ratio
g) Quick Ratio
h) Total Debt/Equity
i) Total Revenue
j) Gross Profit
Here are some additional resources:
Apple (Return on Assets): https://ycharts.com/companies/AAPL/return_on_assets
Use the following guidelines:
- Use APA format with a title page, in-text citations and references. No abstract required.
- Research and cite at least 2 credible sources in APA format.